Monday, June 29, 2009

Gardening with Nana

Buzzy's mom, Nana, was recently in town for about a week. During her visit, we tackled a long over-due project. We had some overgrown plants and weeds and some things that we just didn't care for that needed to be taken out. Before Nana got here, Buzzy pulled out the overgrown plants to the right of the entry way. Next it was on to the flower bed to the left of the entry way. We got a great deal on some knockout roses (thanks to my parents for picking them up in Canton!) and decided to put those in front of our windows. Things never seem to be as easy as they should be though. When Buzzy starting digging the holes to plant them, we quickly discovered why we couldn't get rid of a nuisance plant in that flower bed. There was quite an impressive web-like root system that had overtaken the entire bed. So Buzzy and his mom dug up the entire bed trying to get every single root so we could rid ourselves of this plant. Once we finally got rid of all the stuff we didn't want, it was time to plant the new rose bushes and flowers. I went and got a flat of begonias and periwinkles (aka vincas). I like the begonias because they generally do great in the heat, are a lovely shade of red for a great pop of color, and because once they die at the end of the season if you just cut them off flush with the ground they will usually return the following season. The periwinkles also do well in the heat and add lots of vibrant color. When these flowers die at the end of the season, just pull them out, roots and all. Periwinkles drop seeds so you will have flowers again next summer.
My role in all of the gardening is more of the supervisory role. I don't really enjoy pulling weeds or digging around the in the dirt that much. I think this is due to the serious case of arachnophobia that I possess. I don't mind putting in some flowers though once the ground has been prepared. So I did actually plant most of the periwinkles myself. Nana really enjoys gardening though so I let her plant the rest. Of course, she had some helpers!




Here are the three gardeners planting the begonias.








Didn't get a picture of the other flower bed yet, but here's one of the finished product. Such an improvement!


No comments:

Post a Comment